Size: 182 MB
Bit Rate: 256 + 320
Found at RCA Studios
G.I. Blues is the eleventh album by Elvis Presley, released on RCA Victor Records in mono and stereo, LPM/LSP 2256, in October 1960. Recording sessions took place on April 27 and 28, and May 6, 1960, at RCA Studio C and Radio Recorders in Hollywood, California. The album topped the Billboard Top Pop Album chart and has been certified by the RIAA as a platinum album.
Due to copyright reasons, the European version of the soundtrack album and film substitutes the opening track "Tonight Is So Right for Love" with the song "Tonight's All Right for Love," adapted from a melody by 19th century waltz-king Johann Strauss II.
Interestingly, the melody for "Tonight Is So Right for Love" was taken directly from a barcarolle composed by Jacques Offenbach, one of Strauss's contemporaries.
An American release of "Tonight's All Right for Love" did not occur until it appeared on the compilation album Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 1 in 1974.
The version of "Blue Suede Shoes" used on the soundtrack is a new recording of the song Presley first recorded in 1956, and is one of only a few songs that Presley would re-record in a studio setting during his career, others being "Love Letters" and "A Little Less Conversation."
Soundtrack recordings for Paramount's "G.I. Blues" motion picture. Recorded April 27-28, 1960 at RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA & and on May 6, 1960 at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA
♣ Elvis Presley: vocals; guitar on "Shoppin' Around"
♣ Scotty Moore: guitar
♣ Tiny Timbrell: guitar
♣ Neal Matthews: guitar
♣ Dudley Brooks: piano
♣ Jimmie Haskell: accordion
♣ Ray Siegel: bass
♣ DJ Fontana: drums
♣ Frank Bode: drums
♣ Hoyt Hawkins: tambourine
♣ The Jordanaires: back-up vocals
♣ Joseph Lilley: producer/arranger
♣ Thorne Nogar: engineer (May 6th session)
♣ unknown(s): engineer (April 27-28th sessions)
Elvis Presley - "G.I. Blues 1960 at RCA Studios, Hollywood"
01. Shoppin' Around (Tk.4) 01:46
02. Tonight Is So Right For Love (Tk.3) 02:18
03. Shoppin' Around (Tk.6,7,9,10) 04:15
04. Pocketful Of Rainbows (Tk.15,16) 03:14
05. Tonight's All Right For Love (Tk.6) 01:23
06. What's She Really Like (Tk.9-11) 04:01
07. Frankfurt Special (Fast, Tk.3,4,7) 04:43
08. Big Boots (Fast, Tk.3) 01:23
09. Wooden Heart (Tk.1-3) 03:34
10. Frankfurt Special (Medium, Tk.6-8) 05:27
11. Big Boots (Fast, Tk.5) 01:20
12. Doin' The Best I Can (Tk.3) 03:22
13. What's She Really Like (Tk.12-13) 03:05
14. Shoppin' Around (Tk.3,5) 03:16
15. Big Boots (Slow, Tk.2,4,6) 03:17
16. Big Boots (Fast, Tk.6-7) 01:46
17. Tonight's All Right For Love (Tk.14-17) 04:33
18. Vienna Woods Rock And Roll (Tk.4) 02:06
On April 27, 2016, RCA remastered the album for compact disc, adding eight outtakes from the recording session as bonus tracks. Two songs were previously released, the acoustic version of "Big Boots" appearing on the posthumous 1978 album Elvis Sings for Children and Grown-Ups Too, and the substitute "Tonight's All Right For Love."
Elvis Presley - G.I. Blues (US 1960) The finished Original Album as Bonus:
01. 4/27/60 Tonight Is So Right for Love - Abner Silver and Sid Wayne 2:14
02. 4/28/60 What's She Really Like - Abner Silver and Sid Wayne 2:17
03. 5/6/60 Frankfort Special - Sid Wayne and Sherman Edwards 2:58
04. 4/28/60 Wooden Heart - Ben Weisman, Fred Wise, Kathleen Twomey, Bert Kaempfert 2:03
05. 4/27/60 G.I. Blues - Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett 2:36
06. 5/6/60 Pocketful of Rainbows - Ben Weisman and Fred Wise 2:35
07. 5/6/60 Shoppin' Around - Aaron Schroeder, Sid Tepper, Roy C. Bennett 2:24
08. 5/6/60 Big Boots - Sid Wayne and Sherman Edwards 1:31
09. 4/27/60 Didja' Ever - Sid Wayne and Sherman Edwards 2:36
10. 4/28/60 Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins 2:07
11. 4/27/60 Doin' the Best I Can - Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman 3:10